Header Ads Widget

Ticker

6/recent/ticker-posts

baked apples with almonds & brandy

To help us feel better about the cold evenings, I suggest a round of baked apples with brandy.

It's an adapted Jamie Oliver recipe which has proven to be a big hit at Chez Joy.

He faffs around with a mortar & pestle with cloves and bay leaves, but since I don't usually have unlimited time and a dedicated washer-upperer in my kitchen, I make a slightly pared down version....don't worry, there's still the brandy....there's always time for that.

{recipe at the end}


First, into a bowl put the softened butter, almond meal or flaked almonds {whichever is in the pantry}, brown sugar, lemon zest and  squeeze of juice, orange zest & squeeze of juice, raisins, mixed spice & brandy.


Then, with your hands, mix it all together...this is very therapeutic - so really, this recipe is very good for you.

Core the apples, then run a knife around the middle of the outside.
{this is so the skin doesn't explode unprettily during baking}


Then stuff the almond/butter/brandy/raisin mixture into the centre of the apple.


Place in a baking dish.

{If I'd had flaked almonds, I would have scattered them over the top for a final cruncy flourish}

That's it!


Place in the oven

{yes, I know, I really should clean my oven rack...it makes me sad, but I keep on being distracted by handbag auctions on eBay when I should be doing these sort of chores}


After about 30-40 minutes they look kinda like this.
You can pour the caramelised juices from the pan over the apples before serving them.


Yummy with ice cream, cream or just by itself with juice running down your chin.
The apple is all squidgy & juicy and the almond mixture is rich and comforting.

From my home to yours, with love on a chilly evening,

Meredy xo.



RECIPE

Baked Apples - Serves 4

50g unsalted butter (softened)
4 large green apples
50g flaked almonds or almond meal
100g brown sugar
75g raisins or sultanas
1 orange {zest plus one tblspn juice}
1 lemon {zest plus one tblspn juice}
1 heaped tspn mixed spice
1 shot brandy or whiskey



  • Heat oven to 180oC/350oF
  • Core apples and score around the middle of each one with a knife
  • Using your hands mix all the ingredients well, squeezing the flavours into the butter.
  • Fill the apples with this mixture and place in baking dish.
  • Rub the outside of the apples with any leftover mixture.
  • Bake in the pre-heated oven for 30 - 40 minutes, until golden and soft
  • Serve with ice cream or cream.

Yorum Gönder

0 Yorumlar