Header Ads Widget

Ticker

6/recent/ticker-posts

Flowerspeak III


Good Saturday, all. Hope you got a little extra sleep this morning like I did, followed by your favorite wake-up beverage.

On the writing contest, your emails and comments let me know you really enjoyed it and found the editing suggestions helpful, so we'll do it again soon. And when Nannette Croce, Editor Extraordinaire, finishes her critiques, I'll see about posting some examples so we can all glimpse another editorial mind at work. I love win-win situations. :)

Winners' prizes are in the mail, but as two are going abroad, it might take a while.

You shared with me some of your favorite flowers last week, and one of you talked about passion flowers. Not being familiar, I did a bit of research. That same day, a dear nurse friend of my mom's brought her some from her garden. Ah, synchronicity!

Passion Flower (Passiflora Incarnata): Found worldwide except in Europe, Africa and Antarctica, this variety flourishes in the U.S. Different members of this family produce edible fruit. The Maypop's leaves and roots were used by Native Americans and colonists for teas and painkilling applications. [More here at Wikipedia.]

In the 15th Century, Spanish Missionaries noticed much symbolism between the flower and the last days of Christ:

  • The pointed leaf tips represent the Holy Lance which pierced Jesus' side before He died.
  • The flowers' tendrils resemble the whips used to punish Christ.
  • The faithful Apostles (minus St. Peter the denier and Judas the betrayer) are represented by the flower's 10 petals and sepals.
  • Radial filaments, which can number over 100, resemble the Crown of Thorns.
  • The chalice-shaped ovary with its receptacle symbolize a hammer (for the nails used to crucify Christ), or the Holy Grail.
  • The three stigmata represent the nails, and the 5 antlers below them, the wounds of Christ (four by the nails, one by the lance).
  • The blue and white colors of many passion flowers represent heaven and purity.

Why do I find that particularly fascinating? Because I love symbolism found in nature as well as literature. It's another way we are "spoken to" if our ears are attuned.

Has nature whispered to you lately? What did you hear?

Yorum Gönder

0 Yorumlar