Header Ads Widget

Ticker

6/recent/ticker-posts

Week in Review - 1/13/2018


It's been a tough week new-wise -- the mudslides in CA have been on my mind for several days - those poor people, families swept away, unsuspecting in the middle of the night.   

This week has resulted in a warm up for a few days here. In fact, temps reached the high 50s yesterday, followed by lots of rain and wind. Cold temps will be coming back and then some snow mid week.

I spent this week with 3 days of yoga, some movie time, some reading time and a few lunches out.  We also spent some time talking about some spring getaways -- something to look forward to after this harsher than normal winter is over.

We saw (2) great movies this week -- 


I LOVED The Shape of Water (2017), Sally Hawkins is amazing (loved her in Maudie as well). I didn't expect my husband to really enjoy this one but he thought it was well done as well. I also loved that we saw it at our favorite Indie theater, and did lunch a favorite restaurant nearby.

The movie takes place during the 1960's space race in Baltimore, the story explores the unexpected love between the mute cleaning lady Eliza (Sally Hawkins) and the mysterious amphibious creature (Doug Jones) trapped at the government facility she works at. When Eliza escapes with the creature thanks to the help from a gallery of colorful characters, we see the bond between woman and creature grow.  Beautiful fantasy type love story.

We also watched a good movie on television that we had missed on the big screen.

A Family Man (2017) is one of those films where a  forty-something upper-middle class husband and father who works too much and doesn't appreciate the simple things in life endures a catastrophic twist of fate and changes his tune. This movie as well as, The Shape of Water brought more than a few tears to my eyes. 

Bookish Things



Small Great Things is my book group read for January. I actually read this one when it first came out and thought it was very good. This time I listened to the audio version in preparation for our meeting.
Small Great Things is going to be a movie starring Viola Davis and Julia Roberts, and I'll definitely be looking forward to this one.

I liked the audio version very much as well - 4.5/5 stars.

In progress - 

This novel is very well written, but a tough read because of the sometimes graphic, subject matter. Turtle Galveston is a fourteen year-old girl being raised by her whacked, survivalist father in northern California. I'm at the 70% point on my Kindle.

Hope everyone has a nice weekend.

Yorum Gönder

0 Yorumlar